Sports Massage and StretchingJanuary 17, 2015
Stretching is a form of physical exercise in which a specific muscle or tendon is deliberately flexed or stretched in order to improve the muscles felt elasticity and achieve comfortable muscle tone.The result is a feeling of increased muscle control, flexibility and range of motion.
Ballistic stretching is a rapid bouncing stretch in which a body part is moving with momentum that stretches the muscle to a maximum. Muscles respond to this type of stretching by contracting to protect itself from over extending
Dynamic stretching is a walking or movement stretch. By performing slow controlled movements through full range of motion, a person reduces risk of injury.
Proprioceptive neuromusclar facilitation is a type of stretch for a particular muscle and it’s particular muscle and it’s specific job, resistence should be applied then the muscle should be relaxed.
Static Stretching is a type of stretch whereby a person stretches the muscle until a gentle tension is felt then holds the stretch for thirty seconds or until a muscle release is felt without any movement or bouncing.
Sports massage can improve an athletes circulation and range of motion and reduces pain, soreness and tension after a workout. Sports massage works to help improve performance . Massage can stretch tissues that could not be stretched in the usual methods.
- Stretches can improve range of motion and flexibility
- Prevents injury, betters performance.
- Increases blood flood which prevents hardening of the arteries
- Produces synovial fluid which lubricates the joints that are surrounded by the muscles, which helps prevent arthritis
- Stablises the body’s natural balance and posture and aligns the joints leading to better coordination.
- Removes lactic acid after physical activity alleviating any muscle pain or cramps
Stretching and massage can help to increase flexibility in muscles, fascia, connective tissue and joints. Remedial Massage in passive stretching improves muscle stretch and enabling you to relax during the stretch.