Signs and symptoms of TMJMarch 6, 2022
TMJ or Temporomandibular joint pain can be painful and debilitating, this is more common than most people realise.
- Limited movement of the jaw
- Jaw tenderness
- Difficulty opening the jaw (locking of the jaw)
- Pain in both sides of the jaw or just one side, this can spread to the face and neck.
- Muscles of the jaw become stiff
- Clicking sounds or popping in the jaw
- Upper and lower jaw do not close properly
- Severe pain around the ear
- Difficulty or pain Chewing
The main cause is grinding or clenching teeth unconsciously in your sleep and this can be caused by stress or anxiety.
The complications associated with clenching or grinding the teeth can lead to tinnitus/ringing in the ears. Your Dentist is usually the person who gets to identify the wear and tear on the teeth and sometimes cracking of molars.
Surfcoast massage works with clients having this problem using an technique called craniosacral and it is very affective releasing the joints of the jaw and pain associated with TMJ.
Call Lisa for an appointment