Is there a connection with menopause and bursitis?October 31, 2021
There is plenty of research showing that inflammation can increase during menopause due to declining estrogen. Estrogen is anti-inflammatory, so it makes sense that as it decreases, inflammation increases. This change can occur during any stage of menopause.
The primary female hormone, estrogen protects joints and reduces inflammation, but when estrogen levels drop during menopause, inflammation can increase the risk of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis can go up and the result can be painful joints. Hip bursitis is more common in females (especially older females) due to having naturally wider hips which result in greater potential for friction or compression. It is common among post menopausal women predominantly due to the associated lower estrogen levels. Joint pain is one of the most commonly reported symptoms of menopausal women especially in the hand, hips, spine, knee and shoulders.
Unlike many signs of menopause, joint pain may not diminish when hormones level out after menopause. There are many lifestyle changes that can help ease the pain and prevent it from getting worse.
- Olive oil
- green leafy vegetables, spinach, kale and collards
- nuts – almonds and walnuts
- fatty fish- salmon, mackeral, tuna and sardines
- fruits – strawberries, blueberries, cherries and oranges
Supplements to help joint pain
- Vitamin D3 deficiency can affect both physical and mental health, but many people have low levels of vitamin D without realising. The physical symptoms of a defciency may include muscle pain in the joints which often occurs in the knees, legs and hips
- Turmeric is one of the most popular supplements for treating pain, including joint pain caused by osteoarthritis its pain relieving effects are attributed to a chemical compound in turmeric called curcumin.
- Omega 3 Fatty fish, flaxseed, chia seeds and walnuts
Surfcoast Massage can help people to understand that menapause and inflammation are linked, call Lisa on 0438668878. Lisa is fully qualified in many different modalities have a look at out website Surfcoast Massage.