Osteitis PubisJuly 1, 2018
Osteitis Pubis is only some of the conditions Surfcoast Massage treats at the clinic. Osteitis pubis is an inflammation of the pubis symphysis causing varying degrees of lower abdominal and pelvic pain.
Signs and symptoms of this condition can include
- loss of flexibility in the groin region,
- dull aching pain in the groin or in more severe cases a
- sharp stabbing pain when running, kicking, changing directions or even during routine activities such as standing up or getting out of the car.
- Pregnancy/ childbirth
- Athletic activities (running, football, soccer, ice hockey, tennis)
- Surgery Gynecologic or Urologic
- Major trauma
- Repeated minor trauma
- Overload or training on hard surfaces eg. concrete
- Exercising on uneven ground
- Beginning an exercise program after a long lay-off period
- Exercising in worn out or ill fitting shoes
- Increasing exercise intensity or duration too quickly
- Leg length differences
Treatment and Prevention
To treat the pain and inflammation caused by osteitis pubis anti inflammatory medication, stretching and strengthening of the stabilising muscles. The AFL has taken some steps to reduce the incidence of osteitis pubis recommending clubs restrict the amount of bodybuilding which young players are required to carry out and in general reducing the physical demands on players before their bodies mature.
Surfcoast Massage works in this capacity of identifying injuries and working with Physiotherapist and Osteopaths. Surfcoast Massage is located in Torquay and Jan Juc and can be contacted on 0438668878. Surfcoast Massage is fully qualified and experienced in this field.