Benefits of pregnancy massageAugust 20, 2014
As women move through the three trimesters of pregnancy their pelvis needs to open to prepare for birth. Throughout this time it is incredibly important to have treatment done to loosen the glute and pelvic muscles, otherwise the pelvis might not move as it should.
There are many benefits of having pregnancy massage, including:
- Education about how the body changes throughout each trimester and what you need to do to prepare for birth
- Relieve sciatic pain or lower back pain
- Targeted massage and relief depending on where your baby is positioned
- Able to lay on your stomach on a comfortable pregnancy pillow right up to 40 weeks – this is ideal rather than lying on your side. Positioning during pregnancy is really important for mother and baby in order to get the best result.
- Qualified referral to other healthcare professionals if there are structural concerns, i.e. if the pelvis is twisted. This will need attention by an osteopath, chiropractor, etc.
- Safety – your Surfcoast Massage therapist is qualified to work on pregnant women specifically, it is not the same as “regular” massage.
We warmly welcome pregnant women into the Surfcoast Massage practice for qualified pregnancy massage and treatment. Ideally we recommend four-weekly sessions throughout the pregnancy to consistently loosen the muscles in line with the growth of the baby. If you would like further information or to book, please do not hesitate to contact us.